Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
I've been fixing this "queso dip" for years. It's quick and easy to fix, and it tastes a lot better than most. Don't replace the Velveeta with "real cheese". You need it for good texture.
- 2 (4 ounce) cans diced green chilies
- 2 -3 pickled jalapeno peppers, drained,seeded if desired,and chopped,to taste
- 2 (1 lb) canspeeled whole tomatoes, drained well and coarsely chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely,more to taste
- 1 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 lb velveeta process American cheese, cubed
- 1⁄2 lb sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 lb monterey jack cheese, shredded
- tortilla chips, as accompaniment
- Combine everything except cheeses in a medium saucepan over medium heat, and bring to a simmer just until onions soften.
- Reduce heat to low, fold in cheeses, and continue to cook, stirring frequently, until cheese is melted and smooth.
- Serve hot with tortilla chips.