Prep 8 hrs
Cook 55 mins
This is a nice mild mexican dish. Marinating for 8 hours allows the flavors to permeate. Betty Crocker deserves all the credit for this recipe.
- 3 lbs chicken, cut up
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 5 drops Tabasco sauce
- 2 tablespoons vinegar or 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 cup minced onion
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Under cold water rinse chicken and then pat it dry.
- In a large frying pan add the oil and over medium heat add the chicken to the pan and brown on all sides.
- Drain off fat.
- Mix tomato sauce,chili powder,salt,tabasco,vinegar, oregano,garlic and onion.
- Pour this sauce over the chicken.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes or until the chicken is tender.
- Place the chicken in an ungreased covered casserole dish.
- Let cool.
- Sprinkle with the cheese;cover and put in the fridge for 8 hours.
- Bake at 400F for 20 minutes covered and then uncover and bake for 20 minutes more.