Prep 25 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is from an chicken cookbook that my Mom had and I've used forever. This is really good!
Make and share this Mexicali Chicken recipe from Food.com.
- 1 (2 1/2-3 lb) broiler-fryer chickens, cut up
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 3⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup pimento stuffed olive, sliced
- 1 green pepper, cut in strips
- In skillet, brown chicken in butter; remove chicken.
- Add onion and garlic to skillet; cook till lightly browned. Add dash, salt, and remaining ingredients except green pepper.
- Return chicken to skillet; spoon sauce over all.
- Cover; simmer 30 minutes.
- Add green pepper; cover and cook 10 minutes more.
- Serve with rice.
This is really 4 star with a bullet! The only thing we thought it needed was a little more heat.1/4 tsp chili powder just doesn't do it for us. I did have to make a substitution. Used garlic stuffed olives, as I don't particularly like pimento. Did not use the raisins, as my sister does not care for fruited main courses. Served over brown rice. Came together fairly quick. A really fine recipe for one of those "I took chicken out of the freezer, now what do I make" nights. Thnx for posting, Jim. Made for ZWT5