Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
I like this recipe because it is not only low-fat but tasty. It is excellent warmed over but can eaten cold-very versatile dish for people on the go.
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 (16 ounce) bagshredded fat free cheese (your choice)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 (15 1/4 ounce) can whole kernel corn
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package taco seasoning mix
- 1 (16 ounce) jar picante sauce (I prefer pace's)
- 1 (16 ounce) container fat free sour cream
- 1 (6 1/2 ounce) package Mexican cornbread mix
- 2⁄3 cup skim milk
- Start browning meat in a large skillet adding the chopped onion and green pepper-drain excess fat.
- After browning meat, stir in taco seasoning mix, corn (non-drained), and entire jar of picante sauce.
- Simmer mixture on med heat approximately 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While meat is simmering, preheat oven to 375°F.
- Mix Mexican cornbread mix and your 2/3 cup milk in a medium mixing bowl; set aside. Pour about 1/2 of mixture into 9-inch casserole dish then cover with 1/2 bag of shredded cheese. Repeat-layering the two cover top with cornbread mixture-spreading over entire casserole.
- Bake in oven for approximately 25 minutes or until brown.
- Cool for 5 minutes then serve.
- Add sour cream to taste.
This dish was very easy to make and smelled wonderful while baking. I used 1 lb of ground beef instead of the ground turkey and I didn't have a mexican cornbread mix, so I made my own (I submitted recipe for the mexican cornbread to Recipezaar". My husband is not a big fan of Mexican dishes, but he went back for seconds on this one! Will surely make again.
Easy to make with my 14 year old son. Yum!
nothing more to say-JUST GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!