Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
A lightened up version of WI Cheesehead's Frothy Mexi-Mocha Coffee made for the Make It Healthier Game. Enjoy!
- 1⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon orange zest
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄2 cup strong decaffinated coffee
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- orange zest (to garnish)
- cinnamon stick (to garnish)
- Mix sugar, chocolate, orange zest, cinnamon and allspice in a blender. Whirl until finely chopped.
- Add the hot coffee to the blender. Blend 1-2 minutes until smooth and the chocolate is melted.
- Pour the 1/4 cup milk into a small saucepan and gently heat.
- Pour the milk into the blender and blend all until it is frothy. Strain to remove solids.
- Serve in cappacino cups. Garnish with the orange zest and cinnamon sticks. Enjoy!
Yum, this is very tasty but very sweet..I used less than the sugar called for but still found it too sweet for me so stretched it out and added more milk...similar to abuelita but with a hint of orange. Thanks for posting!
What a great way to get frothy mocha! Lovely combination of flavors. I used regular coffee, less sweetener and made the full amount for myself :D Thanks for posting! Made for Comfort Cafe Snowqueen's Round 2010.
I agree with all the previous reviewers - delicious, flavourful and a real treat. We have a holiday family ritual which sees us having hot chocolate/cocoa after the annual Carol Festival - this year will be adding this rich and lovely mocha like coffee nicely frothed - making for a new tradition in the making. I will likely go with cutting back on the sugar - just a personal preferance . Thank you Sharon for another great recipe to add to my cookbook.