Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Food should be like a fiesta in your mouth...and this DEFINITELY is! This meal will take over 'Taco Night' as we know it! At least, it did in my house!
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3 limes, juice of
- 2 tablespoons liquid smoke
- pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 cup light sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup salsa
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dill
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cajun spices
- 2 cups shredded colby-monterey jack cheese
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- Start marinading the chicken the day before. To do so, mix the lime juice, liquid smoke, pepper, cumin, paprika, and minced garlic. Pour in a zip lock bag (I double-bag it) and add the chicken breasts. I leave the limes in the zip loc bag as well, for more lime flavor. Place in the refridgerator overnight.
- Drain excess marinade from chicken. Grill chicken breasts.
- While the chicken is on the grill (I use a George Foreman, and I have even broiled the chicken -- still tasts wonderful), combine sour cream, salsa, dill, and cajun spice.
- Turn the broiler on in the oven.
- Heat oil in a frying pan.
- When oil is hot, add the tortilla strips. If your pan is not big enough, you may need to do this in batches. Fry strips for 3-4 minutes, until golden brown and crispy.
- Drain on paper towels.
- When chicken is done, put chicken on an oven pan. Spoon the sour cream/salsa mixture on the chicken breasts evenly.
- Add cheese on top of the mixture.
- Put chicken breasts under the broiler for 3-5 minutes, in order to get the cheese nice and bubbly, and heat the sour cream mixture through.
- Put four beds of tortilla strips on a serving platter, or on four individual plates.
- Place chicken breasts on top of the tortilla strips.