Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
this is an easy side or main dish. the cheese is optional. we eat it as a main dish. I can't remember where I got the beginning of this recipe but I have adapted it so much I don't think it would be recognized anymore. I make this in a crock pot but it could be made in an oven in a covered dish at 350 degrees for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. I've never tried making it on low heat so I don't know how long for that.
- 236.59 ml uncooked rice
- 236.59 ml dried lentils
- 236.59 ml chopped onion, about 1 medium
- 907.18 g water or 907.18 g broth, of choice
- 4.92-9.85 ml cumin
- 28.34 g package taco seasoning
- 56.69-226.79 g of shredded cheese
- shredded cheese
- sour cream
- spray inside of crock pot with non stick cooking spray.
- add all ingredients except "toppings" and mix well.
- cook on high for two to two and a half hours.
- serve topped with additional cheese, sour cream and salsa if desired.
This is a truly unappealing dish. The consistency is like a squishy porridge, the color is gray and the taste could not be any more bland. The only thing that makes it eatable is the cheese and salsa you put on top. But that is because those toppings are good in themselves. Plain rice with salsa and cheese would be a more pleasant experience than this.