Recipe by Chef Kathy
I got two marriage proposals after serving this recipe at a pot-luck dinner at work. And I was already married with four children! It is always a hit with the fellows! It is hearty and cheesy.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bell peppers, seeded & diced
- 2 fresh ancho chilies, seeded & diced
- 2 tablespoons new mexico chile powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon crumbled dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 24 ounces mild salsa
- 15 ounces black beans, drained
- 15 ounces whole kernel corn, drained
- 16 ounces sour cream
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese (use Mexican variety if available)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro or 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley
- 12 ounces shredded colby-monterey jack cheese
- 8 ounces shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 10 (8 inch) flour tortillas, cut into half-moons
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F and spray 9 x 13 inch pan with Pam; set aside.
- Brown ground beef with onion, garlic and peppers, drain grease. Stir in seasonings (next 6 ingredients). Simmer about 8-10 minutes. Add salsa and heat until it is bubbly.
- While sauce simmers, in medium bowl, mix sour cream, beaten eggs, Parmesan cheese and cilantro or parsley. Stir in 1/2 cup of Colby-Jack cheese. Set aside. Mix the remaining shredded cheeses together.
- Line greased pan with 1/3 of tortillas. Spread with 1/3 of sauce; drained, black beans; half of sour cream mixture and 1/3 of mixed cheeses.
- Next: layer 1/3 of tortillas; 1/3 of sauce; drained, corn; remaining half of sour cream mixture and 1/3 of cheese.
- Finally: layer remaining 1/3 of tortillas and remaining 1/3 of sauce. Wrap pan snugly in foil. Bake 35-40 minutes. Remove foil, top with remaining cheese. Bake additional 12-15 minutes until lasagna is bubbly and cheese is lightly browned.