This is quite tasty, the jalapeno pepper is only optional I like to add in for extra heat, Italian sausages with the casings removed may be used in place of the ground beef or use ground turkey, I also like to add in some cooked crumbled bacon or smoked dry sliced sausage but that is only optional :)
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh minced garlic
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 -2 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package taco seasoning mix (can use more to taste)
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth (can use water)
- 1 small zucchini, diced (about 4 cups)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen corn or 1 1⁄2 cups peas
- 1 1⁄2 cups instant Minute Rice
- 1 -2 teaspoon seasoning salt (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided (you may use more cheese)
- In a medium 4-quart heavy pot over medium heat cook the ground beef or sausage meat with onion, garlic, bell pepper and jalapeno pepper; cook until browned then drain fat.
- Add in the taco seasoning mix with a wooden spoon until well combined.
- Add in all remaining ingredients except the cheese; stir with a wooden spoon to combine and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Reduce heat to medium-low or low.
- Cover and simmer for 25 minutes or until the rice is tender.
- Season with seasoned salt and pepper.
- Mix in 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese until melted, the sprinkle the top with 1 cup; let stand for 5 minutes until melted.
I made this exactly as stated in the recipe and it was very tasty. Kids came home and grabbed a bowl and everyone said it was a "do again" recipe. I had friends over for drinks later and they sprayed a cookie sheet with non-stick spray, placed corn tortillas on pan and topped with filling and put cheese on top. Topped with sour cream after taking out of the oven and was delicious. They weren't baking fast enough for everyone. It's great to find a recipe that's versatile.
I made this for supper tonight, cut up the pepper and onion before I left for work. Truly took 30 minutes to make. I used ground turkey, skipped the jalape?o pepper (hubby & I like them, kids...not so much). Also didn't add corn or peas, thought there was enough starch with the rice (used brown minute rice). Also used much less cheese, about half cup, and then sprinkled a little over each serving. Everyone loved it - definitely a make again meal.
I wanted to try something different and this was great! My husband is a picky eater and he liked it! Thanks!