This is quite tasty, the jalapeno pepper is only optional I like to add in for extra heat, Italian sausages with the casings removed may be used in place of the ground beef or use ground turkey, I also like to add in some cooked crumbled bacon or smoked dry sliced sausage but that is only optional :)
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh minced garlic
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 -2 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package taco seasoning mix (can use more to taste)
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth (can use water)
- 1 small zucchini, diced (about 4 cups)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen corn or 1 1⁄2 cups peas
- 1 1⁄2 cups instant Minute Rice
- 1 -2 teaspoon seasoning salt (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided (you may use more cheese)
- In a medium 4-quart heavy pot over medium heat cook the ground beef or sausage meat with onion, garlic, bell pepper and jalapeno pepper; cook until browned then drain fat.
- Add in the taco seasoning mix with a wooden spoon until well combined.
- Add in all remaining ingredients except the cheese; stir with a wooden spoon to combine and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Reduce heat to medium-low or low.
- Cover and simmer for 25 minutes or until the rice is tender.
- Season with seasoned salt and pepper.
- Mix in 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese until melted, the sprinkle the top with 1 cup; let stand for 5 minutes until melted.