Prep 5 mins
Cook 8 mins
I've been craving some simple egg recipes and this one is good and just a little different. Enjoy!
- 2 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 4 round slices whole grain country bread
- 4 large eggs
- 1⁄4 cup shredded monterey jack pepper cheese (1 oz.)
- 1⁄4 cup fire-roasted salsa (or your favorite salsa)
- Spread butter evenly on both sides of bread slices. Cut a circle from center of each slice, using a 2 to 3-inch round cutter. Centers can be cut from bread slices using a glass with a 2 to 3-inch diameter or a biscuit cutter.
- Place 2 bread slices in large nonstick skillet with ovenproof handle(To make handle ovenproof, wrap it completely in aluminum foil), then heat to medium. Break egg shell gently and slip an egg into center of each slice. Cook until bottoms of eggs are set, 2 to 3 minutes; gently turn over. Cook until egg whites are completely set and yolks begin to thicken but are not hard.
- Bread centers can be pan-toasted separately and eaten along with eggs-in-a-hole.
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoons cheese onto each bread slice.
- Broil 4 inches from heat just until cheese is melted, about 1 minute. Repeat to cook remaining eggs. Serve with salsa.
Yum, yum YUM!!!!<br/>We absolutely LOVED this one.......it's quick and easy enough to treat yourself to a great breakfast before dashing out of the door to begin another busy day.<br/>We also loved it without the salsa, but smothered in Cholula Hot sauce, or Tabasco Chipotle Pepper Sauce.<br/>Deliciously fantastic way to start the day....big thumbs up from us!!!<br/>Made for PRMR.
Loved this Tex-Mex take on "Toad in a Hole" --- sooo good! I used a really nice 12-grain bread, but would love to try sourdough bread next time. So easy to make and so flavorful with that added touch of monterey jack cheese and the salsa. Will definitely keep this on my breakfast list. Made for PRMR, January, 2013.
This is great! A wonderful variation on eggs-in-a-hole. The pepperjack and salsa were a nice touch. Thanks for sharing! ZWT8