Prep 10 mins
Cook 7 hrs
A crock pot recipe, but could easily be adapted to stovetop or even the oven.
Make and share this Mexi Chicken Stew recipe from Food.com.
- 2 -2 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into about 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup diced onion
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cut very small
- 1 cup frozen corn, can use canned
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 -2 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 1 (15 ounce) jar mild salsa, can use hot if you can take it
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup light sour cream
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- warm flour tortilla (optional)
- hot cooked rice (optional)
- Place chicken pieces in bottom of the slow cooker.
- Add all remaining ingredients EXCEPT the shredded cheese.
- Cover and cook on low for about 7 hours.
- Stir in the shredded cheese. Cover for about 15 minutes to let melt. Stir again.
- Serve with warm tortillas or over rice.
This a little milder than we would normally prefer, but was easy to make & a pleasant meal. I added the corn in the last 20 mins, then added the sour cream, which I mixed with plain flour to stop it splitting. Served with leftover Mexican Take Out Arroz Rojo (Red Rice) for a tasty, easy dinner. Made for ZWT5 by a fellow Hell's Kitchen Angel.
I didn't care for this recipe at all. I think it may have been the sour cream and cheese at the end. I slow cooked it on low for seven hours and even though I cut the potatoes really small, they still weren't cooked. I think it had some great ingredients in it, but if I were to make this again which is doubtful, I will skip the sour cream and cheese.
I did this in the crockpot and it came out very nice indeed. The flavors develop very well and the overall mildness was favored by this group (I added just a bit of pepper sauce to mine). I used the given amount of spuds as this is a pro-potato bunch. Possibly the best part for me (other than the taste) was the fact that it used ingredients that I can actually get here! I sprinkled some sliced black olives on top before serving. We loved it.