Prep 25 mins
Cook 23 mins
This casserole must prepared and baked right away as the tortilla chips will become soggy. If possible use Doritos brand cheese flavored tortilla chips for this. This can also be made using cooked turkey, make certain to hand-squeeze out as much excess moisture in the spinach as possible, for a milder spinach taste, boil the spinach in water for 10 minutes, cool and drain, then hand-squeeze out the moisture. The chicken soup mixture must be hot before using in this casserole, so that the oven-baking time will be less, this allows the tortilla chips to remain semi-crispy in the casserole, you can prepare it ahead of time, but you will need to reheat before using.
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed (hand-squeeze out any moisture)
- 3 -4 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced garlic (or to taste)
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 large jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried chili pepper flakes (add in for more heat!) (optional)
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 3 -4 teaspoons cumin (or to taste)
- salt and pepper
- 1 (12 ounce) package nacho cheese flavored tortilla chips, divided
- 6 cups cooked chicken, chopped and divided
- 2 -4 cups shredded four-cheese Mexican blend cheese, diided (or to taste)
- Set oven to 375 degrees.
- Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- In a skillet melt butter over medium heat; add in chopped yellow onion, green onion, red bell pepper, garlic, jalapeno and chili flakes (if using) saute for about 5-6 minutes or until tender.
- Add in the spinach, undiluted cream chicken soup, sour cream and cumin; mix to combine, then season with salt and pepper; bring to just a simmer then remove from heat (the chicken soup mixture must be hot).
- Sprinkle HALF of the tortilla chips into the bottom of the baking dish.
- Then sprinkle HALF EACH cooked chopped chicken, HOT chicken soup/spinach mixture, then half of the shredded cheese (use as much cheese as desired).
- Repeat the layers ending up with the spinach mixture on top.
- Bake for about 15 minutes uncovered.
- Remove from oven then sprinkle with remaining cheddar cheese; return to oven and continue to bake for another 8 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- Sprinkle the top with more chopped green onions before serving if desired.