Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
The raisins are optional, I prefer not to add them in, the mixture is just as good without them! You can use ground beef or pork in place of the chicken or turkey. This is a great weekend snack to serve while watching sports, or to serve at a small get together. For less heat adjust the jalapeno peppers and dried chili flakes to taste, we like extreme spice so I use 2 large jalapenos and about 1 tablespoon of dried chili flakes!
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 8 -10 ounces ground chicken or 8 -10 ounces ground turkey
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons dried chili pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 -2 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons flour
- 2 -3 teaspoons chili powder (can use more to taste)
- 4 tablespoons raisins (optional)
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 (16 ounce) can black beans, drained (or use any small beans)
- seasoning salt (or use white salt)
- black pepper
- tortilla chips (I use about 35 chips, you can use more!)
- 1 -2 cup prepared salsa
- 2 cups old cheddar cheese (or use a Mexi-blend cheese, can use more)
- sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- For the chicken or turkey picadillo mixture; heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat; add in ground chicken or turkey with onions, garlic, dried chili flakes cumin, oregano and jalapeno peppers; cook until the meat is well browned.
- Stir in the flour and chili powder; cook for about 1 minute.
- Add in the raisins (if using) cider vinegar, sugar and drained tomatoes; cook stirring; cook for about 8-10 minutes.
- Add in the beans, then season with seasoned salt (or white salt) and black pepper; cook until heated through completely.
- Arrange the nachos on a large baking sheet.
- Spoon the chicken picadillo mixture over nachos, then the salsa over the nachos.
- Sprinkle/top with grated cheese (you can use any amount desired).
- Bake for about 5-6 minutes or until the cheese has melted.