Prep 0 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
easy one pot dish
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄4 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 lb white whole mushroom, wiped clean and stems trimmed,quartered
- 1 pinch fresh ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole milk
- 12 cups tortilla chips
- 2 cups finely chopped onions
- 1 cup finely chopped bell pepper
- 10 ounces grated cheddar cheese
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup chopped drained canned tomato
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies, drained
- Combine the chicken, chicken stock, wine, cilantro, lime juice, garlic, peppercorns, 1 teaspoon of the salt, the oregano, and bay leaves in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and allow the chicken to cool in the poaching liquid for 45 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the cooking liquid and cut into bite-size pieces.
- Reserve the chicken.
- Strain the cooking liquid and reserve.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat the butter in a large skillet over high heat until foamy.
- Add the mushrooms, the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, and the black pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms release their liquid.
- Continue to cook until the mushrooms are golden brown and all the liquid has evaporated, about 6 minutes.
- Sprinkle the mushrooms with the flour, stir to blend, and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the milk and stir, scraping up any bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Cook until the mixture begins to thicken.
- Add 1 1/2 cups of the reserved chicken cooking liquid, stir, and cook until very thick and flavorful, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat.
- Place the tortilla chips in the bottom of a 9 x 13-inch glass casserole.
- Crush the chips with your hands so they form a thin layer on the bottom of the dish.
- Pour 1 cup of the reserved cooking liquid over the tortilla chips and allow them to soak up the liquid.
- Scatter the chicken over the top of the tortilla layer.
- Spread the chopped onions, bell peppers, evenly over the chicken.
- Top with half of the grated cheeses.
- Sprinkle with the chili powder and ground cumin.
- Spoon the reserved mushroom mixture evenly over the top of the spices, then top with the tomatoes and green chiles.
- Cover with the remainder of the cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 40 to 45 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbly and the casserole is heated through.