Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
A delicious creamy chicken, black bean and corn mixture between layers of tortillas then baked, low-fat sour cream and shredded cheese may be used and all amounts may be adjusted to taste, I also add in finely chopped and seeded jalapeno peppers to the sour cream mixture but that is optional, you may add in about 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro if desired, see Kittencal's Red Enchilada or Taco Sauce or use purchased red enchilada sauce --- this is a great casserole! :)
- 3 large boneless skinless chicken breasts, diced (about 2-1/2 to 3 cups)
- 1 -2 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning mix
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) can diced green chilies, drained
- 1 cup corn niblets, drained
- 1 1⁄2 cups sour cream (can use 2 cups)
- 1 (10 ounce) can red enchilada sauce (can use more)
- 8 (6 inch) corn tortillas
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided (or to taste, or use a mexi-blend cheese)
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease an 11 x 7-inch baking dish.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- In a bowl toss the chicken pieces with taco seasoning, cumin and black pepper.
- Add to the skillet and saute until the chicken is cooked through.
- Place the cooked chicken in a large bowl.
- Add in beans, green chilies, corn and sour cream (start with 1-1/2 cups sour cream and add in more if desired) mix to combine well.
- Spread HALF of the red enchilada sauce into the bottom of the baking dish.
- Place 4 corn tortillas over the sauce overlapping if necessary.
- Spoon HALF of the chicken/sour cream mixture over the tortillas, then sprinkle with HALF of the shredded cheese.
- Drizzle the remaining HALF of the enchilada sauce over the cheese.
- Place another layer of corn tortillas over the mixture, then the remaining HALF of the chicken/sour cream mixture.
- Cover the dish with foil.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes.
- Remove foil, sprinkle with the remaining half (about 1-1/2 cups) shredded cheese, return to oven and bake for another 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
Oh Yeah! As always, Kittencals recipe is amazing, and resilient enought to be delicious even with my tweaking. I added an onion to the chicken when I sauteed it, and a little salt to the seasoning. I used a 13x9 pan and also added 2 chopped fresh tomatoes to the sour cream/corn/bean mix before cooking, and used 2 extra corn tortillas. I fried the tortillas lightly in corn oil so that they wouldn't be soggy after baking (a trick I learned from a family chicken casserole recipe). DELICIOUS! Great spice, not bland or overly hot. Thanks again!
This is a great recipe! I used leftover chicken breast that we had barbequed the night before. I didn't have green chilis so I used jalpenos instead. Yum!
This recipe is excellent! I made it with mild taco seasoning and pre-slow cooker baked chicken thighs and with both cheddar and Mexican four-cheese mix cheese. The enchilada sauce in layers gives just enough heat without being overpowering. Before putting some on the bottom of the dish, I put some mild salsa there which added to the taste greatly. What I will do next time around is add some diced canned low sodium tomatoes to one or both layers. This casserole is a standout. Try it!