Recipe by Gay Gilmore
Served at our wedding. A little pre-wedding snack with cocktails. Cashews are the perfect sweet nut for these pungent seasoning.
Top Review by Sky Hostess
I have made this recipe several times now and I've used peanuts, cashews and pistachios. They are all great. I also added 1 tsp of lime juice to the egg white (instead of water) for more tang. I also used 2 tsp chili powder (New Mexico Hot Chili powder) and increased the cayenne pepper to 1 tsp. We like them just a little kickier! These are fantastic whatever nut you decide to use. UPDATE: (8/08) I made these again with peanuts recently and instead of the cayanne pepper I used 1/2 tsp ground Chipotle Chile Pepper - fantastic!!! Very smoky flavor.
- 1 egg white
- 2 1⁄2 cups cashews
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- vegetable oil cooking spray
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 C).
- Line a baking sheet with foil and spray with vegetable oil.
- In a medium bowl, whip the egg white with a few drops of water until frothy.
- Add the nuts to the egg white and toss to mix.
- Use a slotted spoon to transfer the nuts to a clean large bowl.
- Mix the spices together in a small bowl and then sprinkle on top of the nuts and toss to coat.
- Spread the nut mixture in one layer on the baking sheet.
- Bake, shaking or stirring once, to make sure they toast evenly, 25-35 minutes, until they are crisp and browned.
- Transfer the nuts to another cool flat surface to cool and crisp.