6 hrs 15 mins
Another award-winner from our local natural food store's weekly flyer. Spicy yet comforting, you control the amount of "heat". Don't skip the garnishes-especially the radishes!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons corn oil
- 1 1/2 lbs pork butt
- 1 1/2 cups onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 2 cups tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 -4 teaspoons salt-free cajun seasoning
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 quarts pork stock (8 cups) or 2 quarts chicken stock (8 cups)
- 1 (29 ounce) can hominy, drained
- salt, to taste
- 1Alternate method: Cook pozole in a Dutch oven, covered at 350º for 1 hour to 1 1/4 hours.
- 2Heat oil in a heavy pan. Sear the meat on all sides for about 10 minutes. Remove pork and set aside.
- 3In same pan, sautè the onions for 2 minutes. Add the garlic and sautè 1 minute. Transfer the onion and garlic to a large crock pot.
- 4Cut up the meat into large chunks and place in the crock pot along with the tomatoes, Cajun seasoning, red pepper flakes, oregano, cumin, stock and hominy.
- 5Cook on LOW for 6 hours.
- 6Before serving, add salt and pepper and adjust other seasonings if necessary.
- 7Arrange the garnishes on a serving platter and pass around. Serve with warm corn tortillas.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mexi-Cajun Pozole
Serving Size: 1 (380 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 601.8
- Calories from Fat 280
- Total Fat 31.1 g
- Saturated Fat 9.8 g
- Cholesterol 112.2 mg
- Sodium 546.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.6 g
- Sugars 9.7 g
- Protein 36.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
salt-free cajun seasoning