Prep 5 mins
Cook 35 mins
After playing around with steamed barley, I realized I didn't have to use just water to steam the barley. Now this may sound like a basic cooking technique to you, but to me it was a revelation in the form of a new recipe. I grabbed a bunch of ingredients I had around my house, put them on the counter and made this up in my head. I suggest you double up the recipe, cause this barely feeds me by myself it's so good!
- 453.59 g lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 236.59 ml pot barley
- 39 g envelope onion soup mix (makes 4 cups)
- 946.36 ml boiling water
- Brown beef and onions together in dutch oven until onions are soft, season as desired (I like montreal steak spice)
- Stir in barley, onion soup mix and boiling water.
- bring to boil, then reduce and simmer for 30 minutes.
This was really good for someone who was just playing around! I made this exactly as listed, using extra lean ground beef. I think that this would be good with mixed veggies and a fresh roll. I made this for my adopted chef, Metric Jester, for this round of Pick A Chef! Thanks Jester! :)