1 hr 10 mins
Metric Jester's Note:
That's right, The Metric Jester has yet another barley recipe. This one is hearty, filling, and don't you know it tasty too.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 -2 lb stewing beef (1/2 inch beef cubes)
- 1 tablespoon montreal steak spice
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 4 ounces white mushrooms, sliced
- 2 medium onions
- 3 celery ribs
- 3 medium carrots
- 1 cup barley
- 6 cups beef stock (hot preferred) or 6 cups water (hot preferred)
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram (not optional)
- 1 cup rinsed pot barley
- 1toss beef cubes and muschroom slices with montreal steak spice, then coat with oil.
- 2Sear beef and mushrooms in dutch oven.
- 3add onions and stir fry until onions are just starting to get soft.
- 4add celery, carrots, and potatoes stir and wait 3-5 minutes for food to warm up.
- 5add beef stock (water) all at once if hot, or slowly if cold.
- 6add barley and spices and then stir until combined.
- 7simmer for up to 4 hours, but it's cooked after 1.
- 8If using a slow cooker: start with the barley and liquid, and then using the same pan, sear beef and add, brown mushrooms and add, fry onions, celery and carrots then add, de-glaze pan and top off with spices. cook for 6 to 8 hours.
Browse Our Top Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Metric Jester's Barley Stew
Serving Size: 1 (227 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 185.6
- Calories from Fat 82
- Total Fat 9.1 g
- Saturated Fat 3.3 g
- Cholesterol 25.3 mg
- Sodium 433.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 1.9 g
- Protein 10.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: