Prep 20 mins
Cook 54 mins
Made this the other night and it was fantastic - my first good experience trying to cook Indian food. This makes a great side dish, it is potatoes, peas, and cauliflower with Fenugreek.
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 6 -8 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 inch piece ginger, peeled and chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 3 medium tomatoes, fresh and chopped
- 2 teaspoons cumin, ground
- 2 teaspoons hot chile black pepper
- 3 teaspoons coriander powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons fenugreek seeds, dried
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed to 1-inch pieces
- 1 1⁄2 lbs cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, fresh
- Heat oil in 6 qt sauce pan. When hot, add garlic and ginger. Fry for about 10 to 15 seconds. Add onions and saute' for 8 to 10 minutes over medium to high heat, stirring once every 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add chopped tomatoes. Stir and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add all the spices, salt, and dried fenugreek. Stir and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add potatoes, mix, and cook partially covered for 7 to 8 minutes, stirring every 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add cauliflower, mix and cook, covered, over medium heat for 20 minutes, stirring every 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add peas and cook another 2 minutes.
- Add lemon juice and cook another 2 minutes.
- Serve immediately.