Recipe by Girl from India
A snack from the state of Gujarat that tastes great with sweet mango pickle or pickle.
Top Review by Charishma_Ramchandani
These were very tasty and enjoyable! I used 1 tsp. of cumin powder in addition to the other ingredients in step 2. I served this with mango pickle and my family loved it! Thanks for posting!
- 1 1⁄2 cups wheat flour
- 1 cup besan (gram flour)
- 1 bunch methi leaves, chopped (fenugreek)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 cup yogurt
- 3 tablespoons oil
- oil, for shallow frying
Directions See How It's Made
- Sieve the wheat and gram flours separately.
- Make a well in the center of the flour and add all the ingredients except oil for frying.
- Mix well.
- If needed add enough water to make a stiff dough.
- Knead well.
- Cover and set aside for 15 minutes.
- Knead the dough again and divide into walnut sized portions.
- Shape the portions into small balls and roll out like chapatis.
- Heat a griddle on a high flame.
- Once heated, lower the flame to lowest.
- Place a flat roll on it.
- Once the thepla puffs a little, turn it over and increase the flame to medium.
- Smear the the upper surface with some oil and turn it over.
- Smear this side with oil too.
- Turn the thepla over once more.
- Cook till thepla has golden brown spots on both the sides.
- Cook all the theplas in this manner.