Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
A yummy dish made from fenugreek leaves, peas and milk. One of the few non-spicy dishes of Indian cuisine.
- 2 cups fenugreek leaves (chopped fine)
- 3 cups low-fat milk
- 1 cup green peas
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 6 cloves
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornflour, mixed in
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 5 -6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- salt, to tase
- In a wok set on high heat add oil. As soon as the oil is hot add the fenugreek leaves to it and fry them. The leaves will wilt and some of its liquid will transfer into the wok. Continue frying for around ten minutes on high till all the liquid dries up and the leaves turn dark green and are crisp. Take it out with a slotted spoon and reserve.
- In the same oil reduce the heat and add the sticks of cinnamon and cloves. Fry for about 1 minute and add the green peas. Again fry for about a minute.
- Add the milk and stir the mixture well, increase the heat and stir continuously for two minutes. Add the reserved fenugreek leaves and salt and continue cooking till the milk dries up and the peas are cooked(about 10 minutes).
- Add the cornflour paste, sugar and cardamom powder or seeds and take off the heat. Serve hot with rotis, parathas or naan.