1 hr 30 mins
Chef Messy Missy's Note:
I used to hate macaroni and cheese unless it was made with the blue box and powdered nonfood "cheese". Thank college for that. Gradually I upgraded to adding tuna and peas until I became a foodie. I then started to reinvent comfort food and was obsessed with doing everything from scratch. I've tweaked this recipe repeatedly to make it healthful AND scrumptious. This is my current version. As for the Messy Missy part...it's my nickname.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 16 ounces whole wheat pasta
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 large egg, well beaten
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 1 cup hot water, from cooked pasta, reserved
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 8 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 8 ounces fontina, grated
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup soymilk
- 1/4 cup canola mayonnaise
- 4 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1Prepare all ingredients as indicated in the ingredient list before beginning or your pasta will be too dry and cool.
- 2Preheat oven to 350F and spray a 9x12 glass baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- 3Cook pasta in large dutch oven or stock pot according to package instructions for al dente.
- 4Drain, reserving 1 c of pasta water, being careful not to overdrain.
- 5Place pasta back in pot and add 4 T butter, beaten egg and egg replacer, stirring periodically while it melts completely.
- 6Meanwhile add 2-4 T of hot pasta water to large mixing bowl, adding mustard, paprika, nutmeg, salt, pepper and garlic salt. Add grated cheeses, cream and soy milk, mixing all ingredients well. If too dry add a bit more pasta water while mixing.
- 7Turn mixture into pot of macaroni and stir to coat well, using pasta water if necessary. Sir in mayonnaise then celery and shallots.
- 8Pour into prepared glass baking dish.
- 9In a small saucepan melt 2 T butter over medium heat and stir in breadcrumbs to absorb butter. Season with salt and pepper and add dried rosemary mixing until all butter incorporated.
- 10Sprinkle seasoned breadcrumbs over top of dish and add a few dashes of paprika.
- 11Bake one hour.
- 12Allow to cool slightly to set before serving.
Browse Our Top Elbow Macaroni Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Messy Missy Mac and Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (171 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 503.4
- Calories from Fat 281
- Total Fat 31.3 g
- Saturated Fat 18.1 g
- Cholesterol 109.5 mg
- Sodium 583.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 1.5 g
- Protein 22.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: