Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 0 mins
Cook 30 mins
From 1001 low fat vegetarian recipes
Make and share this Mesquite Smoked Tofu or Tempeh recipe from Food.com.
- Slice tofu lenghtwise into halves.
- Using SMOKER:.
- Spray smoker rack with spray generously before placing on grill.
- Place tofu on rack over medium hot coals with mesquite wood chips [you can use other chips if desired].
- Smoke covered for 20 to 30 minutes at least. Smoke longer for stronger flavor.
- Tofu can be smoked in covered GRILL:.
- Arrange hot coals around edges of grill. Place shallow pan of water in center. Sprinkle coals with chips that have been soaked in water and well drained. Continue as directed above.
- On top of RANGE:.
- Sprinkle 2 to 3 tbsp of mesquite smoking bits bits [very small chips] or shavings in bottom of large dutch oven. Place wire rack in dutch oven. [make sure you have a nice sturdy dutch oven with a tight fitting lid].
- Place tofu on the rack [spray with cooking spray] and cover. Heat over high heat for 5 minutes. Lift lid just enough to make sure pan is full of smoke.
- Reduce heat to med low and cook covered for 20 to 30 minutes.
- For Vegans make sure the spray does not contain diary products such as butter.