2 hrs 20 mins
From Silk Road Cooking: A Vegetarian Journey by Najmieh Batmanglij. This is untrried by me so far, but I plan on making it this winter sometime. I'm wating to see if I get a handheld blender for Christmas.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 leeks, finely chopped (use both white and green parts)
- 1 bird chiles, chopped or 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 garlic cloves, cushed and peeled
- 1/2 cup dried garbanzo beans
- 12 cups vegetable stock or 12 cups water
- 1 cup barley
- 1/2 cup dry green lentils, picked over
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 large tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 cups fresh swiss chard, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh dill, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, leeks, chili and garlic and stri fry for 10 minutes.
- 2Add the chickpeas and vegetable stock, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low, partially cover and simmer for 40 minutes.
- 3Add the barley, lentils, salt and pepper and bring back to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer, partially cover and cook for 30 minutes until barley and lentils are tender, stirring occasionally.
- 4Add the tomatoes and herbs, cover and simmer over low heat for 40 more minutes longer.
- 5Add the tahini and lime juice.
- 6Using a hand held mixer, plunge it into the pot and puree some of the ingredients.
- 7If the soup is too thick, add some warm water and bring back to a boil. Adjust seasonings to taste, adding salt, pepper or lime juice as needed.
- 8Just before serving, pour the sooup into a tureen or individual serving bowls. Garnish with black pepper and parsley or a sprig of your favorite herb.
Browse Our Top Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mesopotamian Barley, Lentil and Tahini Soup (Vegan)
Serving Size: 1 (221 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 426.8
- Calories from Fat 147
- Total Fat 16.3 g
- Saturated Fat 2.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1201.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 58.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 17.0 g
- Sugars 6.3 g
- Protein 16.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fresh swiss chard