Recipe by Nana Lee
YUP, you guessed it! Another Wally Halloween recipe. This is a salad in an orange-skin "bowl".
- 8 large thick-skinned oranges
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons grainy mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 (5 ounce) bagbaby mixed greens
- 1⁄2 cup toasted pumpkin seeds
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice 1/2-inch slice off top of oranges and slice enough off bottom of oranges so they won’t roll.
- Grate 1/4 tsp zest from TOP sliced off an orange.
- Carve pulp out of all oranges (using a grapefruit knife works well [or even a grapefruit spoon with serrated tip might work])
- Section the pulp of four oranges (1-1/2 cups)removing them whole from the membranes; set aside.
- Juice rest of pulp (1/4 cup); set aside.
- Cut a jack-o'-lantern face on each orange.
- Whisk together reserved orange zest and juice with vinegar, maple syrup, mustard, lemon juice, ginger, salt and pepper.
- Whisk oil in until combined.
- Toss greens and reserved orange pieces with 2 to 3 Tbs dressing.
- Stuff orange shells with salad; top with pumpkin seeds.