Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 55 mins
I'm in love with Bobby Flay right now. We went to Mesa Grill in Vegas a few weeks ago and OMG! Everything was spectacular. I haven't tried this soup yet but I will as soon as the weather gets a little cooler here. I'm posting here so I don't lose the recipe.
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, coarsely chopped
- 7 cups vegetable stock or 7 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 cups pumpkin puree (not flavored pie filling)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground mexican cinnamon, plus
- 1 teaspoon ground mexican cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons pureed chipotle chiles
- 3⁄4 cup creme fraiche or 3⁄4 cup sour cream
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup toasted pumpkin seeds
- Heat butter in a medium stockpot over medium heat.
- Add the onions, garlic, carrots and celery and cook until soft.
- Add the water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes. Strain the stock into a clean medium saucepan and whisk in the pumpkin puree until smooth.
- Bring to a simmer and add 1/4 Teaspoon cinnamon, spices, honey and chipotle.
- Cook for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Add water, if the soup is too thick.
- Remove from the heat and whisk in 1/4 cup of the creme fraiche and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix together the remaining creme fraiche and remaining 1 teaspoon cinnamon until combined.
- Garnish with the cinnamon creme fraiche and a handful of pumpkin seeds.
Saw Bobby on the CBS Sunday Morning Show with this recipe . the quantity of stock to pumpkin is off . Bobby used 3 cups pumpkin to 4 cups stock. Also for those that do not know what Chipotle puree is, it's just Chipotle in adobo thats blended. I made this today and added the 2 tsp chipotles and found I like it spicier so added more Igt depends on everyones own heat factor.
Yes, I am a big Bobby Flay fan, too! This is wonderful! And very healthy! I used 1.5tsp chipotles (2) & wished I had only used 1. So I added more stock & sour cream. Everyone loved it except THE PICKY ONE who thought it was too hot. Made for My 3 Chefs 11/08.