Recipe by Sharlene~W
Source: Bobby Flay Adopted 9/06 (Mean Chef)
Top Review by Linorama
Fabulous bread! I made this during Mean Chef's bread making class and was amazed at the results -- a beautiful, rustic, bread with an incredible crust. It rose nice and high and the flavor was out of this world. I think the polenta added a lot of flavor and texture to the bread. We ate it right out of the oven along with a salad for dinner. Wonderful! Mean, thanks for sharing the recipe and your time.
- 1 tablespoon dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water (110 degrees)
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup polenta
- 5 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Put yeast, water and sugar in mixer bowl and let proof.
- Meanwhile put water and salt in saucepan, bring to boil, add polenta, bring to boil again stirring, remove from heat.
- Add flour,milk and brown sugar to yeast/water, add polenta, stir/mix/knead (depending on whether you are doing it by hand or mixer with dough hook) until it is soft as a baby's ass but a bit sticky.
- Cover with plastic, proof for 15 minutes.
- Form loaves/rolls, cover with towel and proof for 1/2 hour.
- Score loaves/rolls,egg wash and sprinkle with additional polenta.
- Bake at 350 until golden.