1/1 Photo of Merseyside Meat Pie
1 hr 15 mins
Roxygirl in Colorado's Note:
This is an old English recipe from my husband's great nanny. I have made it countless times. It makes any dinner party cozy and you will get lots of raves.Make it ahead of time and reheat in oven and serve with a crisp salad. Any child who likes a crust will love it. Each slice is deep with the filling and it stays together beautifully. It is my family's favorite recipe and I make it all seasons.You might have enough filling for two pies. Note: recipe reflects a change in cook time for filling: 25 min. or until potatoes are tender.
My Private Note
9 inch ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 large potatoes, diced
- 3 carrots, grated
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 3 tablespoons flour, mixed with
- 3 -4 tablespoons cold water, to make a runny paste
- 1 egg yolk, mixed with
- 1 tablespoon water
- freshly ground salt & pepper
- pastry for double-crust pie (only have used homemade-not sure if pre-made is sturdy enough for filling)
- 1Brown beef with onion.
- 2Add diced potatoes, carrots, beef bouillon cubes, worcestershire sauce.
- 3COVER with enough water to barely cover potatoes.
- 4Cover and simmer 20-25 minutes until potatoes are tender.
- 5Add flour/water mixture and stir until mixture boils and thickens (depending upon how much water you put in at beginning, you may want to add more flour/water mixture; filling should be nice and thick (like a pot pie filling).
- 6Add lots of freshly ground pepper and salt if desired (I omit the salt).
- 7Let filling cool until lukewarm or refrigerate.
- 8Roll out pastry and put into a 9 inch pie plate.
- 9Put COOLED filling into shell, filling it nice and full.
- 10Top with second pastry and crimp edges.
- 11Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes.
- 12Brush egg wash on top of crust.
- 13Continue baking for about 15 minutes or until crust is golden.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Merseyside Meat Pie
Serving Size: 1 (1971 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1838.9
- Calories from Fat 671
- Total Fat 74.6 g
- Saturated Fat 28.9 g
- Cholesterol 475.6 mg
- Sodium 2688.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 181.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 23.8 g
- Sugars 22.9 g
- Protein 108.9 g