Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 (1/4 ounce) envelopes active dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup dried cherries
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
- to taste jelly (optional)
Mock Devonshire Cream
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, softened (optional)
- 1 (12 ounce) package Cool Whip, thawed (optional)
- In a small bowl combine warm water, yeast and sugar and let proof 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl combine flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda.
- Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Gradually add in yeast mixture and buttermilk, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Stir in cherries and walnuts, cover and chill at least 1 hour or up to 48 hours.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead 3 - 4 times. Flatten to 1/2 inch thickness and cut with a 2 inch round cutter.
- Place on ungreased baking sheet and bake until golden, about 10 minutes.
- Serve hot with Mock Devonshire Cream and, if desired, jelly.
- MOCK DEVONSHIRE CREAM: In a mixer bowl, beat cream cheese and butter at high speed until fluffy.
- Add Cool Whip and beat at medium speed until blended.