Prep 20 mins
Cook 4 hrs
- 1 1⁄2 cups boiling water
- 1 (6 ounce) packagejell-o brand cherry gelatin
- 1 1⁄2 cups cold water
- 1 (21 ounce) can cherry pie filling
- 4 cups angel food cake, cubes
- 3 cups cold milk
- 2 (3 1/4 ounce) packages vanilla flavor instant pudding and pie filling mix
- 1 (8 ounce) container Cool Whip Topping, thawed, divided use
- Stir boiling water into dry gelatin in large bowl at least 2 minutes until completely dissolved. Stir in cold water and cherry pie filling. Refrigerate 1 hour or until slightly thickened (consistency of unbeaten egg whites).
- Place cake cubes in 3-quart serving bowl. Spoon gelatin mixture over cake. Refrigerate 45 minutes or until set but not firm (should stick to finger when touched and should mound).
- Pour milk into large bowl. Add pudding mixes. Beat with wire whisk 2 minutes. Gently stir in 2 cups of the whipped topping. Spoon over gelatin mixture in bowl. Refrigerate 2 hours or until set.
- Top with remaining whipped topping.
This was really good and very low in fat. I think I am going to try it with Strawberries next time.
This is really a delicious and gorgeous dessert! I make it in my trifle dish and it is great any time of year. The right consistency is important before topping the gelatin mixture. It should be set but not firm. Be sure to use the finger test.