Recipe by Sandyg61
This recipe is from the story Candy for Christmas by Joanne Fluke. I haven't made them yet but am posting the recipe here for safekeeping. Time doesn't include chilling.
- 1 1⁄2 cups melted butter (3 sticks, 3/4 lb)
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup melted melted raspberry jam (any jam) or 1⁄2 cup strawberry jam (any jam) or 1⁄2 cup blackberry jam (any jam)
- 2 beaten eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups flour (pack it down in the cup don't sift it)
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar, for later
- 1⁄3 cup jam, for later
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt the butter in a large microwave safe bowl.
- Add the sugar and mix thoroughly. Let the bowl sit on the counter while you do the next step.
- Melt the jam in the microwave or in a saucepan over low heat. Once it’s the consistency of syrup, mix it in with the butter and sugar.
- Add the eggs, baking soda, and salt, stirring after each addition.
- Add the flour and mix thoroughly. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. (Overnight is even better.).
- When your ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350 degrees, rack in the middle position.
- Roll the chilled dough into small walnut-sized balls with your hands.
- Put 1/3 cup sugar in a small bowl and roll the balls in it.
- Place them on a greased standard-sized cookie sheet, 12 cookies per sheet.
- Flatten the dough balls with a greased spatula.
- Make a small indentation with your thumb or index finger in the center of each cookie. Fill the indentation with about 1/8 teaspoon of jam.
- Bake the cookies for 10 to 12 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Let them cool for minutes on the cookie sheet, and then transfer them to a wire rack to finish cooling.