Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 25 mins
Adapted from a recipe by Merrittorious at allrecipes.com. "Slightly sweet golden squash is topped with a savory herbed cheese-breadcrumb topping." You can substitute shredded Swiss for the Gruyere is the price is too high. You can substitute dried herbs for the fresh, though it will not be as good; use 1 tsp instead of 1 tbsp.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (2 1/2 lb) butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 3/4-inch chunks
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 8 ounces shredded gruyere cheese or 8 ounces emmenthaler cheese or 8 ounces swiss cheese
- 8 ounces shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs, slightly crushed
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F Grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in the onions and garlic; cook until the onions soften and turn golden brown, about 10 minutes. Add the butternut squash and brown sugar. Continue cooking and stirring until the butternut squash begins to brown on the edges, but is still somewhat firm in the center, about 10 minutes more. Scrape the squash into the prepared baking dish, and pour in the chicken broth. Wrap tightly with aluminum foil.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the liquid has been absorbed and the squash is tender, 45 to 50 minutes. Toss together the Gruyere cheese, Cheddar cheese, bread crumbs, thyme, and rosemary in a bowl until evenly combined. Remove the foil from the baking dish, and sprinkle the squash evenly with the cheese mixture. Sprinkle the Parmesan cheese on top. Return to the oven, and bake uncovered for 15 minutes more until the topping is lightly crunchy and brown.