Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe is from Merridee's in Franklin, TN. She states in the recipe that it can be kept in the fridge for weeks.
- 1 quart cabbage (shredded)
- 1 medium onion (chopped fine) (optional)
- 2 cups water
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- Soak cabbage and onion in a brine of the 2 c water and 4 teaspoons salt for 1/2 hour. Drain and rinse briefly.
- Cook together and cool the sugar, water, vinegar and celery seed.
- Add dressing to drained cabbage and store in tightly covered container in refrigerator.