Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
I haven't tried these yet but they look yummy. Recipe from Merridee's cookbook out of Franklin, TN.
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups tart apples (thinly sliced)
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts (chopped)
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- For brownies cream shortening, sugar and egg for one minute.
- Add sifted dry ingredients and blend thoroughly.
- Stir in apples and walnuts.
- Pour into greased and floured pie pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- For butter sauce combine all ingredients except vanilla and bring to a rolling boil.
- Remove from heat and add vanilla.
- Serve over warm brownies.
The brownies were yummy, but the sauce was a bit too sweet.
These turned out very very good - a good way to use up soft apples. The only problem I had is the butter sauce got curdled with the milk. I ended up straining it and using it anyway. Tastes great!