1/1 Photo of Merm's Potato Cheese Soup With Green Chilies
Sooz Cooks's Note:
One taste of this soup at my grandparents' then favorite Mexican restaurant in Tucson - Molina's - and my mom (whose grandchildren called Merm) had to make her own. This is how she made hers and actually everyone liked Mom's version (made with love) better than Molina's. This is pure comfort food for my Dad and for me and we chat about memories of my beloved Mother as we eat. Serve with fresh warm flour tortillas for dipping and of course a nice Mexican beer.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cube
- 1/3 cup flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups milk
- 27 ounces whole green chilies (drained and chilies diced into bite-sized pieces, Mom used canned, I use fresh roasted chilies, abou)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1Heat butter in large dutch oven or other large soup pan over medium heat.
- 2Add onion and garlic; cook until onion is tender.
- 3Stir in potatoes and cook for abbout 1 minute.
- 4Stir in flour until smooth and continue cooking 1 minute.
- 5Slowly add broth stirring well.
- 6Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat. Simmer 30 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- 7Stir in milk, chiles and salt.
- 8Heat until simmering.
- 9Add cheeses; cook and stir just until cheeses melt. Do not boil. Add pepper to taste. Serve in individual bowls. Garnish as desired.
Browse Our Top North American Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All North American Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Merm's Potato Cheese Soup With Green Chilies
Serving Size: 1 (379 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 297.7
- Calories from Fat 116
- Total Fat 12.9 g
- Saturated Fat 7.8 g
- Cholesterol 36.3 mg
- Sodium 496.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.1 g
- Sugars 6.5 g
- Protein 11.4 g