One taste of this soup at my grandparents' then favorite Mexican restaurant in Tucson - Molina's - and my mom (whose grandchildren called Merm) had to make her own. This is how she made hers and actually everyone liked Mom's version (made with love) better than Molina's. This is pure comfort food for my Dad and for me and we chat about memories of my beloved Mother as we eat. Serve with fresh warm flour tortillas for dipping and of course a nice Mexican beer.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cube
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups milk
- 27 ounces whole green chilies (drained and chilies diced into bite-sized pieces, Mom used canned, I use fresh roasted chilies, abou)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Heat butter in large dutch oven or other large soup pan over medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic; cook until onion is tender.
- Stir in potatoes and cook for abbout 1 minute.
- Stir in flour until smooth and continue cooking 1 minute.
- Slowly add broth stirring well.
- Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat. Simmer 30 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Stir in milk, chiles and salt.
- Heat until simmering.
- Add cheeses; cook and stir just until cheeses melt. Do not boil. Add pepper to taste. Serve in individual bowls. Garnish as desired.
This soup made a great lunch today! DH & I both enjoyed it very much and we loved the addition of the green chiles. I made a few changes by adding some bacon to the onion and garlic and I used less green chiles - 12 oz. vs. 27 oz. -- I would have used more, but didn't have them on hand. I used a more potatoes and stock as well just to stretch the soup. Will definitely make this delicious soup again.
Mmmm...delicious! We tried it with and without the cheese and it was tasty both ways. I like the idea of trimming back on some of the calories sometimes and it would work here. I'm looking forward to making it again using fresh roasted chilies.Thank for sharing this yummy, comfort food recipe.
I'm addicted to this recipe. Fantastic!