This is one of my newly adopted recipes. This is Mermaid's original description: The most tender, juicy chicken anywhere. My mom has made this for years. Great with baked potatoes and veggie.
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Place 1 tablespoon oil on the bottom of glass pan.
- Thoroughly clean chicken, removing all excess from cavity.
- Put 1 tablespoon oil on a paper towel and lightly rub the chicken down with oil Salt and pepper the skin.
- Insert 1 tablespoon butter, garlic and some chopped onion into cavity.
- Place the chicken on it's back and insert one tablespoon of butter between the skin and the breast, for each breast.
- (You have to kind of pull the skin a little to get the butter underneath it. This is what causes the chicken to be so tender and juicy.) Cook for approx 2 hours, basting every 30 minutes if possible.
Oh me oh my, what a great recipe!!!!The chicken came out so tender I could cut it with a fork. I have to be honest, I did not cook a full bird, with the two of us in the house, I decided to try it out on two boneless skinless chicken breasts, and I must say I am very pleased with the results. I just put the butter on top, sprinkled the onions and garlic on top then popped it in the oven. I baked covered with foil for about an hour, then for the last 15 mins I took the foil off so it would brown up nicely. Thank you sooooo much for sharing this wonderful recipe.
Awesome recipe. I used a 4.5 lb chicken and increased the oven temp to 350 degrees and cooked for the full 2 hours. Made gravy with the drippings. What a great tasting dish and so easy too! I will be making this often.
What a great recipe! So easy, and very flavorful! My kids absolutely loved it, and it makes a great gravy to pour over your taters...I did my bird in a roaster, and cooked the first hour covered, then uncovered and basted as directed for a wonderfully browned and crispy skin. Thanks Mermaid! :)