1 hr 32 mins
1 hr 4 mins
This is a unique sweet and tasty soup. It needs no doctoring, but if you prefer a less sweet taste, cut back a little bit on the maple syrup. This can be enjoyed as the main dish at any meal. Try it for breakfast for unusual fare. This recipe calls for making the parsnip soup first and later cooking and adding diced potato.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons butter (or use part olive oil)
- 1 lb parsnip, chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups chicken broth or 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard (or more for spicier taste)
- 3/4 cup pine nuts, toasted (or use other nuts)
- 1 1/2-2 cups new potatoes, peeled, diced, cooked
- 8 sweet Italian turkey sausage links
- 1Melt 3 tablespoons butter in heavy-bottomed soup pot until begins to brown.
- 2Add chopped parsnips, onion, and minced garlic and sauté until onions are translucent but not brown.
- 3Add broth and nutmeg and bring to simmer. Cook until parsnips are soft, about 40 minutes.
- 4Add evaporated milk and remove from heat. Pour into blender and puree until velvety smooth.
- 5Stir in maple syrup and Dijon mustard and salt to taste. If forgoing the diced potato and sausage, garnish individual soup bowls with pine nuts or other nuts and serve. Otherwise, continue.
- 6Add water or broth to cover 1 1/2 - 2 cups diced red new potatoes and simmer about 20-25 minutes until tender but retain shape.
- 7Drain diced potato and add to soup. Carefully mix in so potato dice retain shape.
- 8Slice 1 turkey sausage per person and fry on both sides in nonstick cooking pan with either a little broth or water (1-2 tbsp or more) or with a small amount (1 tbsp or less) of olive oil. Add to soup and mix inches.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mermaid's Parsnip, Potato, Turkey Sausage Soup
Serving Size: 1 (306 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 285.4
- Calories from Fat 139
- Total Fat 15.5 g
- Saturated Fat 4.4 g
- Cholesterol 16.0 mg
- Sodium 639.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 13.0 g
- Protein 8.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
sweet Italian turkey sausage links