Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
I found this recipe on the back of a can of Fred Meyer (aka Kroeger) beef broth. I added a can of cut green beans as we like them. But, I have submitted the original recipe. You can add whatever else you like and it still turns out great. I even made it with some leftover pot roast one time. Very versatile. I also used the reduced sodium chicken and beef broths. This can be a healthier meal if you use the low sodium broth and margarine instead of butter.
- Combine winel, chicken and beef broths in a large pot and boil uncovered over high heat until mixture is reduced to 2 cups. Procedure will take about 1 hour. May prepare a day ahead. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Mix butter and flour in small bowl.
- Heat vegetable oil in large skillet over medium high heat.
- Season steaks with salt and pepper.
- Cook steaks until medium brown throughout, 5-6 minutes per side.
- Remove from pan to serving platter.
- Add green onion, garlic and thyme to skillet and stir to blend.
- Add 1 1/2 cups of the reduced wine mixture to skillet.
- Cook over high heat scrapping up brown bits.
- Add butter/flour mixture and boil sauce until thickened. Consistency should coat spoon.
- Serve steaks with sauce, about 1/4 cup sauce per steak.
- Refrigerate leftovers.