Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Elegant dessert that really sets itself apart. Prep time is mostly for the compote to steep.
Make and share this Merlot-Poached Figs With Vanilla Frozen Yogurt recipe from Food.com.
- Whisk the merlot, honey, and vanilla extract in a small saucepan until combined.
- Add the figs, cherries, and cinnamon stick.
- Bring to a simmer, partially cover, and cook until the fruit plumps, about 20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, cover, and set aside to steep, at least 10 minutes and up to 2 hours.
- Divide the frozen yogurt among 4 bowls (1/2 cup each) and top with warm or room temperature compote.
I eyed this recipe for several days before selecting as a tag in the Game Room. Now sitting here wondering why I waited as the results were divine and the dish itself was so easy to prepare. The wine, honey and cinnamon come together into a fragrant rich syrup that enrobes the fruit and gives a richness to the frozen yogurt. More importantly, it goes beautifully with the figs and enhance their own flavor and sweetness. This is the kind of dish which can easily double or triple to impress a crowd for an occasion or event. My one faux pas was that even after making a special trip to purchase them, I forgot to include the dried cherries. Oh well, I guess I'll have to make another batch soon.