Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Took this from the February Canadian Living. Yum!
- 1 lb stewing beef, cubed
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 stalk celery, sliced (and leaves)
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed
- 3 sprigs parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 juniper berries, crushed
- 1 1⁄2 cups merlot or 1 1⁄2 cups dry red wine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup beef stock or 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 carrots, cut in 1-inch lengths
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup white pearl onion
- 1 cup button mushroom
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Popovers (go with the beef)
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- In large bowl, combine beef, sliced onion, celery, garlic, parsley sprigs, bay leaf, juniper berries, wine, thyme and pepper; cover and marinate in refrigerator doe 12 to 24 hours.
- Remove beef; sprinkle with flour and set aside.
- Strain marinade through sieve into bowl, pressing solids; set marinade aside.
- In skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; brown beef in batches.
- Transfer to bowl.
- Add 1 tbsp butter to pan.
- Stir in sugar, cook until deep nutty brown.
- Stir in reserved marinade and stock, averting eyes to avoid splatters.
- Add beef, carrots and salt; cover and simmer over low heat, stirring often, until beef is tender, about 1 ½ hours.
- Meanwhile, in skillet, heat remaining butter over medium heat; cook pearl onions until browned, 12 minutes.
- With slotted spoon, transfer to stew.
- Add mushrooms to skillet; simmer for 10 minutes.
- Serve sprinkled with parsley.
- In bowl, whisk egg with milk; stir in flour and salt until blended but still lumpy.
- Spoon into well-buttered jumbo muffin cups, filling 3/4 full.
- Place in center of cold oven.
- Heat oven to 450F; bake for 25 minutes.
- With skewer, puncture each popover; bake for 10 minutes or until puffed.
- (Make ahead; Let cool; cover and set aside at room temperature for up to 8 hours. Reheat in 325F oven for 5-10 minutes).