Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
If you plan to serve this recipe, you should use the same wine, but a less expensive wine will do for cooking. It is delicious served with rice, mashed potatoes or crusty bread.
- 3 1⁄2 lbs lean stewing beef, in large cubes
- 4 slices bacon, cut into thin strips
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3⁄4 lb white pearl onion, peeled
- 3⁄4 lb button mushroom
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 cups red wine
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- In a large heavy flameproof casserole, over medium heat, melt butter and add oil.
- Add bacon pieces to fat and cook, stirring often, until bacon starts to brown.
- Add onion, garlic, carrots, celery, worcestershire sauce, herbs and spices.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes until just softened, stirring frequently.
- Pat beef cubes dry with paper towel, then dredge them in flour, evenly coated.
- Add beef into the pot, turning them to let it be browned.
- Add wine to pan and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add chicken stock and tomato paste, bring to boil, scraping the base of the pot.
- Reduce heat to low, partially cover pot and let simmer for approximately one hour.
- Add in pearl onions and mushrooms and continue to cook on low heat for another hour, or until the meat is very tender.
- Discard bay leaves and stir in the parsley before serving.