Recipe by Ron Merlin
Delicious Holiday Sweetbread....Decorative, easy to make, and the best tasting cream cheese filling around. Makes a HUGE loaf and is generally gone within 10 minutes of serving.
- 1 package dry yeast
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup warm milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 3 -3 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 egg white, beaten with
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 package cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon lemon, rind of
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water.
- Blend in milk, salt, sugar, egg, and butter.
- Gradually beat in about 2 1/2 cups of the flour to make a soft dough.
- Turn dough out onto a floured board; knead until smooth and satiny (5 to 15 minutes), adding flour as need to prevent sticking.
- Place dough in a greased bowl; turn over to grease top.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled (1 to 1 1/2 hours) Meanwhile prepare cream cheese filling.
- Filling: In small bowl with electric mixer, beat cream cheese until fluffy.
- beat in 1/2 cup sugar, 1 egg, and teaspoon lemon peel and vanilla.
- Dough: Punch dough down; knead briefly on a lightly floured board to release air, and roll into a 10 by 15 inch rectangle.
- Plase on a lightly greased 14 by 17 inch baking sheet; mark dough to indicate 3 lengthwise sections.
- Spread filling in center 1/3 of dough.
- With a sharp knife, cut 10 diagonal strips in each of the 2 outer sections of dough, cutting in almost as far as the filling.
- (Cut each side pointing in the same direction) Pull up and overlap strips alternately over the filling until all strips are folded.
- If there is excess dough at the end, tuck it underneath loaf.
- Brush loaf with egg white mixture.
- Let rise, uncovered, in a warm place until almost doubled (about 30 minutes).
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree over for 25 to 30 minutes or until richly browned.
- Let cool on a rack.
- Prepare a glaze (Powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla) and dribble all over.