Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Don't tell anyone it's spinach, they'll never know! I make them year round, but for Halloween I call them "Troll Boogers" and the kids LOVE them. Thanks to http://www.mardigrasday.com for the recipe!
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen spinach
- 2 cups herb seasoned stuffing mix
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 6 eggs, well-beaten
- 3⁄4 cup melted margarine
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 3⁄4 tablespoon cayenne pepper, to taste
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1 -2 teaspoon tony's creole seasoning
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Lightly grease a cookie sheet.
- Cook spinach according to package directions and drain well, squeezing to remove excess moisture.
- Combine with stuffing mix, chopped onion, eggs, margarine, cheese, Cayenne and garlic salt. Mix well.
- Shape into 3/4-inch balls and place on cookie sheet.
- Bake 15-20 minutes.
- (These are successfully frozen by placing on a pan in freezer until hard, then storing in airtight bags. To serve, thaw slightly and bake 20-25 minutes.).
Since my DH won't usually eat cooked spinach, I halved the recipe. Please do finely chop your onion or grate it (reserving the juice in case you need it). I'd also pop the stuffing into a food processor after measuring. Using that much cayenne and Creole seasoning seemed to mask the parmesan flavor (which I did not cut in half as I like it so well). I would make it again with about half of the heat. Thank you Ranelle!