1/3 Photos of Meringue Topping
to keep the meringue from weeping, never add more than 2 tbls of sugar for each egg white, also the oven temperature for browning it should not be above 325*...the addition of cream of tartar also gives the whites stability..this makes enough meringue for 1--9" pie..
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1preheat the oven to 325* --
- 2in a large mixer bowl -- beat the egg whites, salt and cream of tartar until soft peaks form.
- 3gradually add the sugar a tablespoon at a time and continue beating until soft peaks form --
- 4just before beating is completed sprinkle in the cornstarch --
- 5the peaks should not topple over when the beater is raised -- but the meringue should not appear dry.
- 6spread the meringue on lukewarm filling in the pie shell(this helps keep it from shrinking away from the filling as it cools.).
- 7clear over the edge of the crust.
- 8swoop the meringue into attractive peaks.
- 9bake for 15-18 minutes or until the peaks are golden brown.
- 10cool the pie gradually.there should be no warmth at all left in the meringue, then refrigerate.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Meringue Topping
Serving Size: 1 (22 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 45.1
- Calories from Fat 0
- Total Fat 0.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 93.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 9.5 g
- Protein 1.3 g