Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Strawberry shortcake just became simple with this recipe. It's from a Bisquick pamphlet, and is so good. I hope you will try it. You could sub peaches for the strawberries, or even another type of berry.
- 946.0 ml fresh strawberries
- 118.29 ml granulated sugar
- 551.25 ml Bisquick baking mix
- 44.37 ml granulated sugar
- 44.37 ml margarine or 44.37 ml butter, melted
- 118.29 ml milk
- 2 egg whites
- 59.14 ml powdered sugar
- 59.14 ml granulated sugar
- 14.79 ml granulated sugar
- Slice strawberries; sprinkle with 1/2 cup sugar and let stand 1 hour.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix baking mix, 3 tablespoons sugar, the margarine and milk until soft dough forms.
- Gently smooth into ball on cloth-covered board dusted with baking mix.
- Knead 8-10 times.
- Pat in ungreased round pan, 9X 1&1/2 inches.
- Beat egg whites until foamy. Beat in powdered sugar and 1/4 cup granulated sugar, 1 tablespoons at a time; continue beating until stiff and glossy.
- Spread meringue on dough; sprinkle with 1 tablespoons granulated sugar.
- Bake until delicate brown, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Cool 10 minutes.
- Run knife around edge to loosen; turn onto cloth-covered board.
- Invert on wire rack; cool completely.
- Serve with strawberries.