Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 mins
Posted in response to a request. This recipe is from "Come into the Kitchen" by Jackie Olden, page 321. Here is a quote from the recipe: "This meringue will not bead, or create wateriness between the meringue and the pie filling. In addition, the meringue will stand up for the second day, if the instructions are followed carefully."
- 3 egg whites
- 3 tablespoons ice water or 3 tablespoons shaved ice
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 6 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Place the egg whites, ice water and baking powder in a medium bowl and beat vigorously with wire whisk or electric mixer until egg whites are very stiff.
- Test with a fork; if the fork will stand up vertically in the whites, the mixture has been beaten sufficiently.
- Now fold in each Tablespoon of sugar gradually.
- When all the sugar has been added, whip the mixture again until stiff.
- When covering the pie with the meringue, make sure that the crust is covered and sealed at the pastry edges to prevent weeping.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Bake pie for at least 5 but not over 7 minutes. Be careful to watch the baking time for the degree of brownness desired.
- Cool on wire rack, and refrigerate as usual.
Made this to go over a Chess Pie I made and it was perfect. Loved the flavor to us it had just the right amount of sweetness, I was surprised at the addition of baking powder but it sure worked. I'll be using this whenever I want a meringue from now on. Thanks for posting.
This may be a really good recipe, but it was my first time making meringue; so it just didn't quite work out. I could not get the egg white mixture to thicken enough to hold a fork up. It did work okay for what ti was though. I ended up baking it even though I knew it wasn't thick enough, and it worked; it just didn't work as well as it could have. It ended up kind of flat. So, I'm going to try to find a clearer, easier recipe to start with. Thank you anyway!
First time that I have ever made a Meringue that did not bead or water collecting between the meringue and the custard. Love it, the only thing that I can say is that next time I will add a little more sugar. It is not quite sweet enough,