Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I adopted this recipe from the 'orphan recipes' list. And I'm so glad I did! They're great!
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 3 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon water
- fresh strawberries, sliced
- Sift the sugar with the baking powder and salt.
- Combine vanilla, vinegar and water.
- Add the sugar, 1/2 t at time, to the egg whites, alternating with a few drops of water mixture, beating constantly.
- When all sugar and water are mixed in, continue to beat for several minutes.
- Place large spoonfuls on parchment-lined baking sheet and shape into shallow cups.
- Bake at 225F for 45 min to 1 hours You need to bake them for a long time for them to be really DRY, otherwise the meringues will turn out soggy. Make sure they're crisp and dry before removing from oven. If they're browning too quickly, transfer them to the lowest rack and turn down temp to 200°F.
- Remove the meringues from the sheet quickly and cool them on rack.
- Fill with sliced strawberries and serve. If you like you may also fill the cups with whipped cream or ice cream (I used chocolate) before topping them with strawberries.
Waah, I had trouble. The meringue didn't whip up as I had hoped when I added the sugar. It got kinda syrupy. I tried this twice. Baked the 2nd batch anyway. I couldn't get them off the parchment paper. Maybe I didn't bake them long enough? They're still a bit chewy. I baked them at 225F for 1 hour then shut the oven off & let them cool there. I'm not sure what happened, but I will try this again because I love meringue!!
Great recipe. I used the parchment paper and didn't have any problems, they came right off the paper. I did remove them, paper and all to wire racks as soon as I took them out of the oven. Then when they had cooled, they just lifted right off of the parchment paper. I sliced my strawberries, put sugar on them and let them set until they made their own syrup, then spooned over the tarts. They were yummy!!!
I made these last night as an extra treat after dinner and they were divine! I took half of them and filled them with whipped cream and strawberries and the other half I filled with just strawberries. Sweet and really fairly easy to make. I used parchment paper and was able to remove them easily. Great adopted recipe WM :) Delicious!