Prep 40 mins
Cook 2 hrs
- 8 large egg whites
- 1 pinch coarse salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup sifted confectioners' sugar, plus more for decorating
- pearl sugar, for sprinkling (see sources)
- red food coloring
- 11 ounces almond paste
- 13 ounces melted bittersweet chocolate, melted
- 2 cups heavy cream, whipped to soft peaks
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees F.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whisk egg whites and salt, slowly adding 1/4 cup of granulated sugar.
- Whisk until stiff.
- Fold in remaining granulated sugar and confectioners' sugar.
- Transfer meringue to a large pastry bag fitted with a 3/4-inch round tip.
- On a parchment-lined baking sheet, pipe a 3-inch mound of meringue to form a snowman's body.
- Pipe meringue into a"c-shape" on top of body, forming arms.
- Pipe a 1 1/2-inch mound in center of arms to form a head.
- Repeat to form 7 more snowmen.
- Sprinkle snowmen with pearl sugar.
- In a small bowl, combine remaining meringue and a few drops of red food coloring.
- Transfer to a small parchment cone or a small pastry bag fitted with a#2 tip.
- Pipe a red nose onto each snowman.
- Bake snowmen until the outside is set yet the inside is still soft, about 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
- When cool, remove the inside of each snowman with a spoon and discard.
- Return to oven and bake until firm, 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Make sure the snowmen remain white and do not begin to color.
- Once firm, remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, roll 7 ounces almond paste to a thickness of 1/2-inch.
- Using a 3/4-inch cutter, cut out 8 circles.
- Using a toothpick, dip each almond paste circle into melted chocolate.
- Transfer circles to a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Swirl to form the border of hat.
- Repeat with remaining circles and let cool completely.
- Reserve 1/4 cup chocolate for decorating.
- In a large bowl, combine remaining chocolate and heavy cream.
- Transfer chocolate mousse to a large pastry bag fitted with a 3/4-inch round tip.
- Pipe mousse into cooled snowmen.
- Add a few drops of red food coloring to remaining 4 ounces almond paste.
- Knead until completely combined.
- Roll to 1/8-inch thick.
- Cut into 8 (8 by 1/2-inch) strips to form scarves.
- Place scarves around snowmen and top with cooled hats.
- Transfer reserved chocolate to a small parchment cone or pastry bag fitted with a#1 tip.
- Pipe eyes, mouths, and buttons on each snowman.
- Serve immediately.