Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This concoction makes a beautiful meringue that doesn't fall down. Baking it at a lower temperature for a longer time gives it time to cook all of the way through, too.
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄3 cup cold water
- 3 egg whites
- 6 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 pinch salt
- Blend cornstarch and cold water in small saucepan.
- Bring to a boil; cook, stirring constantly, until thickened and clear.
- Set aside to cool.
- In mixer bowl, beat egg whites until foamy.
- Gradually add sugar and beat until peaks are stiff, but not dry.
- Gradually beat in the cornstarch mixture, vanilla and pinch of salt until blended and peaks are stiff.
- Spread over pie filling, sealing to edges.
- Brown in 325 degree oven for 20 minutes or until peaks are browned.
- Enough for one 9 inch pie.